Today was the worst day in a long time. At 6:45 AM my phone rang. It was the Fire Department paramedics telling me that they were with my Mother at her condo. She had fallen during the night and layed there all until 6:30, and was able to yell for help when a neighbor was leaving the building. She broke her leg. I drove about 95 MPH to get to her place, just before the ambulance was about to take off.
So, her leg is busted up…really fucked up…bad. Every doctor we talked to told us that surgery is the best option, even though it is very risky. She has congestive heart failure, a congenital heart defect which has made her heart gigantic. Her heart is crowding her chest cavity so bad that her lung capacity has diminished. She is on 24 hour oxygen at 3 liters when she is at home.
After the cardiologist, respiratory doc, and the anesthesiologist talked with us, she decided to go ahead with the surgery. She had 2 options. Have the surgery and pray that she survives it. High risk of heart attack, stroke or just dying during the surgery. They will have to intubate her, and are fearful that she will need to be kept on a respirator and drugged. If that happens she has a DNR. Her second option is to have a cast from her groin to her ankle, go to a facility that can care for her, and then wait for a blood clot or something that will kill her anyway. She would be confined to bed, dependant on narcotics for pan, with a catheter and I suppose a bed pan. She would never walk again. She said NO WAY to that option.
She is sharp as a tack, knows the risks, and was quite pleasant and cheerful all day despite her pain, which was a “10” all day.
Her surgery is a 1:oo tomorrow. I am asking all my dear ChronicBabes, and Bloggers to send good thoughts and prayers her way. I might be away from my computer for a few days, but will try to keep you all up to date.
Thanks for being here to listen.